pühapäev, 29. detsember 2013

Varajane jõulumarket

6th December Dresden

It was the 6th of December when I woke up 4.15 in the morning to catch the bus at 5.00 Who would have guessed that the morning would start with a huge snow storm? I sure didn't. Therefore many early people could witness a wondering girl in the bus station, since I just couldn't identify which bus was meant for me. So there I was running from one end of the station to the other, trying to figure out where to go. I already started to panic and was calling- texting- calling- texting my partner for the day. No reply, perfect. I was almost giving up hope, when I saw one bus leaving the station and then stopping. The driver opened his window. "Drážďany?" "eee...aa...to Dresden?" "Ano, Drážďany." Huh, final hesitation and I was on the bus, thanking people for stopping. Almost missed it, but I guess things always go as they are meant to.

Arriving to windy and super cold Dresden was not exactly what I was imagining. After a wonderful tour together with a Czech guide without anyone translating anything, we were free to exploring the town. And so we did. First thing was a stop at the 1/2m Bratwurst stand. It was okay, nothing too special in my opinion. I guess all the excitement came from the length, which in the end was not so impressive as I first thought. It took me of course some time to finish it, but after that we started our own tour on the world known Christmas market. After some time in the cold wind we decided to spend some time in one big shopping mall. Felt pretty good. 

Anyway we ended up trying different lush sweets and also Glühbier, which is not as popular as Glühwein. It had quite an interesting taste, at least something different. 
Outfacing the strong wind and flying chairs we decided to explore not only the old town, but also the newer part of it. Due to the big market it was dead. No people, no open stands on the other side of the bridge. Then again the view to the big buildings was incredible. And who knows me, knows how much I enjoy a great piece of architecture. 

After being a little disappointed in the new town we returned to the old town and found a marvelous little medieval market with all its glory. How fascinating it was! So many different smells, people, costumes, even some war weapons were displayed.

All the smaller markets which combined one bigger one were adorable. The stands were decorated with loads of lights and fairytale characters. There was music and the scent of hot spicy wine in the air. People were celebrating, drinking, eating, dancing around their little tables. What joy! The experience gave me inspiration to visit different Christmas markets around Estonia or maybe also in Latvia next year. Such good memories I have from Dresden :)
talking to people on the medieval market

hello shopping mall and embarrassing Vojta.


 

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar